Monday, February 16, 2009

Hot Stuff, Baby!

My friend Stacie passed along a great white chicken chili recipe to me last week. She brought it to a middle school potluck lunch that I was lucky enough to be able to partake of since I was subbing that day. Her chili was to die for! So good! She brought me a recipe card and I made it tonight for supper. Let's just say that 1 substitution really DOES make a difference! You'll see as we go along...


To make this chili, you'll need:
White Chicken Chipotle Chili
1 tablespoon oil (I used olive, but you can use whatever you want)
1 large onion, chopped
4 boneless chicken breasts (I used the thin-sliced ones)
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
3 cans cannelini beans, drained
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 jar chipotle chili
Here's where my substitution comes in. I could not find chipotle chili at my grocery store, so I bought chipotle peppers. My dear, dear husband said that chipotles are not hot, so it didn't matter. HA!

Anyway...
First, heat oil over low heat, then add the chopped onion, and cook for 4 minutes.

Push onion to one side and add the chicken to the pot. Sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper as desired and cook for 5 minutes.


Increase the heat to medium high and add 2 cans of drained cannelini beans, 1 1/4 cups of chicken broth, and the chipotle chili, and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine remaining can of cannelini beans and 3/4 cup chicken broth in food processor. I used a blender...same difference. Puree until smooth. Add puree and half-and-half to pot.

Simmer for a few minutes and serve. Enjoy!



Looks innocent enough, doesn't it? It was SO SPICY I could not eat it. It was tasty at first, but then my tongue caught on fire and I had to drink 3 glasses of milk to put it out. I hope Eric likes the chili, because he's the only one who will be eating it. And next time, I will remember--no substitutions!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Patty~ Hey it's letting me leave a comment, thought maybe you had banned me cause you were getting hassled by the board people!!!!The chili does look good too bad you couldn't eat it. Hope you have a great Tuesday...
    Blessings,Joann

    ReplyDelete