Saturday, August 1, 2009

And Then There Were None

It's been a rough couple of weeks. We got back from our fun vacation/college road trip to the Midwest and came home to the news that my uncle in South Carolina had passed away while we were gone. He was my last remaining uncle on my mom's side of the family, and I'm his next of kin. So after a long ride home after vacation, I re-packed us all up and the kids and I drove to stay with my brother for a week while we planned Uncle Sam's funeral and began the long job of cleaning out his apartment.

I have many pictures of Uncle Sam through the years, but I love this one. It's a picture of my mom and all her remaining brothers at the funeral of my Uncle Swift in 1983:

My mom is in the front--and I remember she was so mad when this picture was taken because she had just changed out of her funeral clothes and felt she wasn't dressed right for this picture!

Left to right in the back: Uncle Babe (loved Baby Ruth candy bars), Uncle Sam, Uncle Fat (I guess he was rather portly back in the day), Uncle Pepsi (loved Pepsi Cola), and Uncle Everett.

Here's to the last of the Carter family...I raise a can of Budweiser (Uncle Sam's beverage of choice) to Uncle Sam and his unforgettable existence in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment