Friday, August 21, 2009

Best Bar-be-que Around, Guaranteed!

There are many reasons I love to visit my hometown of Augusta, Georgia. Lots of friends from my school days, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, Krystal burgers, and...of yeah, my brother. AND his new family! But one of the biggies is this restaurant:


Sconyers is this wonderful bar-be-que place in south Augusta, only open 3 days a week, as you can tell from this sign. But they do such a great business on those 3 days they don't need to be open any other time. Mmmmmmmm....

Sconyers is housed in this great log cabin, which has 2 huge rooms on the lower level, and 2 huge rooms on the upper level.


This cute little piggy greets you at the front door:

This is a picture of the owner, Mr. Larry Sconyers, and some of his staff circa late 1970's, when Sconyers catered a function at the White House, when fellow Georgian Jimmy Carter was President.

Mr. Sconyers himself actually got involved in politics in later years, being elected to Mayor of Augusta. Most residents feel that's a time best left unmentioned. Mr. Sconyers definitely knows his bar-be-que, though! I wish I had a picture of the food, but frankly it wasn't on our plates long enough to get a picture. The pork plate with hash and rice is to die for!

If you're ever in Augusta, Georgia, don't miss Sconyers Real-Pit Bar-be-que.

And...just because I mentioned Krispy Kreme doughnuts earlier, here's what our box looked like...

The chocolate was so thick...the doughnuts so fresh (the "Hot Doughnuts Now" sign was lit up)...this box was half gone before we got to my brother's house, 15 minutes away. In my immortal words, "There is nothing finer than a Krispy Kreme doughnut."

But Sconyers Bar-be-que comes darn close.

No comments:

Post a Comment