Thursday, August 20, 2009

Sacred Heart, Sacred Place

My brother's wedding took place in what used to be a Catholic church back in the day. Sacred Heart Church in Augusta, Georgia first opened for Mass in 1900 and closed in 1971 due to the mass exodus of residents to the suburbs. After many years of disrepair and vandalism, it reopened as Sacred Heart Cultural Center and is now home for many a beautiful wedding. Here is their website: Sacred Heart Cultural Center

I lived in Augusta for 17 years and visited my family there many more times over the years, and had never been inside Sacred Heart until Bill's wedding. Wow, it was sure worth the wait. It was beautiful. Here are a few pictures I took:

This is the outside looking upward. I was hoping to get a better picture from the highway, but it was pouring after the wedding, so this was the best I could get. The steeple goes so high, and the turrets are almost as high.



This is the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The light isn't the best here, and darn that exit sign right above. But this was so beautiful.


This is the altar. It was pretty dark outside by now, as it was an evening wedding, plus the aforementioned storm was still raging. The altar flowers were placed there in memory of our parents. The matron of honor did all the floral arranging and she did a beautiful job.


One of the beautiful stained glass windows; not sure what it's of, but I can see Jesus in there.

Another beautiful stained glass window, this one after the birth of Jesus.

Such a pity this isn't still a church. There's a very holy feel to the place. I felt very close to God there.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I was looking for Krispy Kreme donuts (of all things) and up popped your photo of Sconyers...I also grew up in Augusta! Moved away in 1986...they'd just reopened or were working on Sacred Heart if I remember correctly; it was near my school (I went to Davidson) and I'm so tickled to find your photos! I live in NYC now and these are really bringing back the memories. Just wish I had some real bbq to enjoy while I look over your blog ... thanks so much for posting! Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete