Saturday, July 11, 2009

Come to the Christmas Table

Today is the Christmas in July Tablescape Party at Felecia's blog, Playing Dishes. There are many beautiful tablescapes there for the holidays...check them out!


All of my Christmas stuff is packed away, but here's a picture from last year's table...

The tablecloth was a Martha Stewart one I had bought on clearance after Christmas 2007 and the first time it was washed, it was wrinkled almost beyond ironing. I ended up re-washing it, taking it out of the dryer damp, and ironing again. It was good enough to put on the table for Christmas dinner; then the many stains that accumulated on the cloth during the meal refused to come out. So the tablecloth will never be used again. The red runner is from Target and has gold beading. The centerpiece is a gold bowl purchased from Kirkland's filled with red Christmas balls, flanked my 2 white taper candles. The dishes were my parents' China, and though not Christmas dishes, I love using them for the holidays. Makes me feel they are still with us. The dishes are a Noritake pattern and have purple flowers. And every place setting gets a Christmas cracker to be opened before the meal is served...so we can wear the crowns during dinner. :)

I look forward to this coming Christmas and trying the many ideas I've been collecting during the Christmas in July festivities!

5 comments:

  1. What a shame about your tablecloth! I love the look of the long red tablerunner on the white background. It is so festive. I would love to see your parents china up close. I love china. It is so wonderful that you have this to share you holidays with your parents even now. What a wonderful way to spend Christmas!

    Your use of the Christmas crackers is one that I will have to borrow. TFS.

    I am so happy that you joined us today. Thank you for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you use your parents dishes, good way to keep their memory alive.
    I would send this link to Martha Stewart's site. She should know how poor her products are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw my 2 favorite stores mentioned.. Target & Kirklands. So sorry about your tablecloth.. I've had that happen too, with one that was handed down to me from my Grandmother,so I'm real leary bout using any nice ones now. I did save the one from my grandmother and I use it to cover my table when I'm working on crafts and whatnot.. it still has its purpose and plus it reminds me of her everytime I use.. which is alot more often now than its previous use.
    Thanks for sharing your story & lovely table.
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Christmas tablescape! That tablecloth looks like it had a nice pattern, what a shame that you can't use it anymore.

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  5. you should cut the tablecloth up for napkins because the pattern on the sides is nice. Or just use it for other things like packing the car to keep breakables from crashing against each other when you are dragging home some great treasure. Or cut it up 1 side and use it as a plant tree skirt and smoosh it all together to hide the stains.

    great post.

    ReplyDelete