Wednesday, January 2, 2013

It's Corny, I Know

Ah, corn.

Who doesn't love it?

I made a wonderful corn chowder tonight for supper, compliments of The Pioneer Woman. Her blog is fantastic...lots of great pictures and great food. This is the first recipe of hers that I've tried, and it has made me realize that I need to try more.

Recipe can be found here on her blog.

All ingredients are assembled...


Man, I love bacon. I could have used the entire package, but I only used about 3 slices. Saved more bacon for later.


I browned the bacon...ooh, the smell!


Then I added about half a large yellow onion and believe it or not, a little butter.


I added in a 32-ounce package of frozen corn. The recipe calls for 5 years of corn, shaved off, but this time of year, fresh corn is scarce. I also added a can of green chiles and 1--only 1!--chile in adobo sauce. Mama mia, those are spicy! Be careful.


Once that's settled, add 1 32-ounce box of chicken broth and 1 1/2 cups heavy cream. (Don't tell Eric it's heavy cream...he thought this was a fairly healthy chowder.)


The recipe didn't call for potatoes, but I wanted to fill things out a bit, so I added 4 small potatoes...it was all I had left in the pantry.


The Pioneer Woman's secret ingredient? Corn meal dissolved in water. Thickens the chowder up nicely and gives a better flavor than corn starch. Nice and corny.


Potatoes are ready to go! I should have added them in with the onions...luckily Eric got stuck at a very crowded gym, because the potatoes needed a lot of extra time to cook through.


Cover and let it simmer for 15 or so minutes. The longer it sits, the better the flavor. Just be sure it doesn't boil much...the cream acted like it wanted to curdle a bit.


And there it is! Bowlful of yumminess, with a slice of French bread on the side. Delish.

Thanks, Pioneer Woman! I'll be back again for another awesome recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment