Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Dessert Fit for Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day!


I decided, since we had the day off from school (teacher in-service, not because of Valentine's Day) that I would take some time and cook a nice meal for the holiday. The Food Network has some great recipes, and had a lovely Valentine's Day section. Our entire meal came from the Food Network website.


We had Shrimp Scampi with Linguini and Roasted Asparagus, both from Tyler Florence's show "How to Boil Water."




For dessert, we had Chocolate Pots de Creme. Wow. That's all I have to say about that.


Recipe can be found here. It was very decadent. Very.


Here are the ingredients. The recipe called for chopped semi-sweet chocolate, but I skipped a step and went to fine semi-sweet chocolate chips. They worked great.



The amount of chocolate needed is 9 ounces, so I put my math skills to work and came up with 1 cup and 1/2 cup of chips.


Put the chocolate in a blender.


Then wisk together milk, cream, egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a heavy-bottomed pan.


I broke 2 of the yolks, but trust me, there are 6 yolks in here. Cholesterol alert! 


Wisking...


After stirring constantly for 5-6 minutes (it was more like 11 minutes for me), quickly pour over the chocolate in the blender and put the lid on. Be sure to use a thick towel to hold the top, as it get VERY HOT! Blend until completely combined.

Pour into ramekins...I finally got to use these heart-shaped ramekins that I bought several years ago.


Ah...chocolate.


I only had 4 of the heart-shaped ones, so I needed to get out a couple of regular ramekins.


The puddings need to chill for at least 2 hours, then top with whipped cream and serve. We made our own included in the recipe.


Wow. I think I already said that. It was very rich, and very good. And very easy.


I'm glad I took the extra effort for dinner...I received a nice present.




It's a great day for roses and chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment