Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy 2012! A To-do List for the Coming Year

It's been nearly a year since I've posted to this blog. One day shy, to be exact. Last year was a crazy one. I got a full-time job at the middle school where I sub, teaching the modern day equivalent of Home Ec. I was responsible for all lessons, grading, subject to evaluations at the drop of a hat, meetings out the wazoo with school officials, parents, you name it. In January, I began, at the School board's request, classes to obtain my official teaching certificate. After 26 years out of school, it was very difficult to go back to school! By March, that position was eliminated due to budget constraints in our county. My schedule eased a bit, as I no longer took classes, and when school was out in June, I heaved a huge sigh of relief.


I resumed subbing this school year, and I'm much happier. I just finished a long-term job, teaching 6th graders Reading for 2 months. No stress, because there was an end in sight.


In August 2010, our nest became a little emptier as we dropped JJ off at college at the University of Iowa, 15 hours from home. He did very well in his first year away, but I fretted the whole time he was gone.


And I ate. A lot.


All the hard work on Weight Watchers, out the window. At this point, I've regained all but about 10 pounds. I'm heartbroken, and angry at myself. I did pinpoint that I'm a stress eater. Go figure.


So this new year brings a fresh start. New beginnings. I don't like to think of these as New Year's Resolutions, but as a to-do list of things to accomplish in the next 366 days. (It's Leap Year, don't forget!)


So without further ado, my to-do list for 2012:


1. Make better food choices.
2. Write my choices down. I do better when I'm accountable, if only to myself.
3. Make time for exercise! At least 3 days a week.
4. Keep up with the housework. When I work a lot I tend to let the house slide, and then we live in a mess until I get around to cleaning. A little every day gets the job done. 
5. Make time for crafting. I really enjoy crocheting and cross-stitching, but never make time for it, because I think I should be cleaning, or something. This relaxes me, and makes me happy. If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!


Here's my first project of the new year:




I decided on this series that I printed from the free patterns at The Vermillion Stitchery. The cute snowman is Father Time. I had all the supplies on hand, except the fabric. I made a run to Michael's earlier and finished my supplies list.


I hope your to-do list is as fulfilling as mine. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment